Guidelines for Storage and Handling of Inks
- Shake ink cartridges each day before use to ensure the best possible printing results
- When handling inks make sure to wear gloves and protective goggles.
- Avoid skin and eye contact with inks.
- Store the ink and ink cartridges in a cool dark place.
- Wear safety glasses, coverall chemical splash goggles and face shield when splashing or spraying the pre-treatment on the material
- If you store the cartridge in a cold environment and are ready to use them, set them at room temperature before you use them.
- Do not dismantle the ink cartridges. This could damage the Print Head.
- If you remove the ink cartridges, make sure to place them in a bag individually to keep them away from dust, dirt and debris.
- Do not discard the inks into any sewers, into any body of water, or on the ground.
- It is recommended to store the ink in a clean, dry area, with temperatures between 50 - 86 degrees Fahrenheit [10 - 30 degrees Celsius].
- The recommended optimum humidity is 20% - 80% for the ink cartridges.
Ink Cartridge Weight and Capacity
- Full Ink Cartridge ink capacity is 7.44 fluid ounces (220 ml)
- Full Ink Cartridge weight is 13.4 ounces (380 grams)
- Empty Ink Cartridge weight is 5.3 ounces (150 grams)
- Reorder when the Ink Cartridge weight is 7.76 ounces (220 grams)
* Weigh all cartridges before reorder. Weigh them weekly.
The printer automatically estimates the amount of ink in the Ink Cartridges based on the settings used during printing as well the number and type of cleaning cycles that have been completed since the last cartridge reset. When the ink usage estimator determines an Ink Cartridge level is low or empty the message CARTRIDGE INK AMOUNT will display.
Note: Printing cannot continue if any of the Ink Cartridges are empty.
Considering that there may be more usable ink in the cartridge it is best to weigh the suspect empty cartridge to accurately verify the ink level. To continue using any remaining ink in the cartridge it will be necessary to reset the ink cartridge with the chip re-setter.
- Locate the Ink Cartridge Chip
- Position the re-setter on the Ink Cartridge Chip so that the pins will align with the gold contacts of the chip.
- Firmly press the pins of the re-setter against the chip gold contacts until the LED on the re-setter blinks red five times and then changes to solid green.
When re-setting the ink cartridge chip the printer will set the ink level estimator to a full cartridge value and begin estimating ink usage as if a full cartridge has been installed. For this reason the ink cartridge should be weighed periodically to determine when it should be replaced. It is always a good practice to use the chip re-setter on a new cartridge before installing it in the printer.
Shaking the White Ink Cartridges
Remove the white ink cartridges from the printer and orientate the cartridge upside down from the way they were positioned in the ink bay. This upside down cartridge orientation helps mix any white ink particles (Titanium Dioxide) that have settled on the bottom of the cartridge.
Shake the cartridges for 30 - 60 seconds and then return the cartridges to appropriate ink bays.
Repeat the ink cartridge shaking steps for all white ink cartridges.